Re: [ontolog-forum] How de facto standards are created

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:51:07 -0400

Kingsley,

The issue is not so much “noise” – although there is certainly some of that (erroneous and duplicative data)- as it is the multiplicity of contexts/perspectives implicit in the data and the varying/overlapping scope of said contexts and associated perspectives that make this a difficult problem. Disambiguation and “de-duplication” is accomplished to varying degrees by teasing out the implicit context/perspective and scope assumptions in the data through application of test/trial markers (yourrelation/facet filtering criteria”) for common and plausible context and scope assumptions. Needless to say, there is no guarantee that one will get this right for any given arbitrary data collection. Nor can we know what the data collection does not include (that might be relevant to our purposes for accessing the data collection in the first place), unless, of course, the contexts and scopes of the collection are made explicit.

Hans