Re: [ontolog-forum] Data & Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:00:40 -0400
On Wed, May 22, 2013 08:02, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 5/22/13 4:17 AM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

>>> I am interested in view points about the following claim:    (02)

>>> Relations are the fundamental mechanism for expressing Data.
>>> Basically, Data Representation is all about
>>> encoding Relations. This assumes that all observations boils down
>>> to perception of relationships (relations) between entities.    (03)

>> MW: OK until the last bit. You seem to be equating relationships
>> to relations. Not a good move in my view. I take a relationship
>> to be a real world phenomenon and a relation
>> to be a mathematical structure. Whilst relations can be used
>> to represent relationships, there is certainly not
>> necessarily a one-to-one relationship between relationships
>> and relations.
>> For example in relational databases it is common practice
>> to use a single relation (record type)
>> to represent multiple real world relationships.    (04)

> As per my response to Pat, I am on a quest to construct a simple
> narrative targeting less technical audiences. Thus, I've opted to make a
> little comprise by being a little lossy about Relations and Relationships.    (05)

In your note to Pat, you mentioned using RDF.    (06)

As Matthew mentions above, data base systems use a record with
multiple data elements to express a relation.  Although this often
includes multiple binary relations, it also includes cases of ternary
and higher order relations.  RDF does have awkward ways of
representing such relations, but a syntax that is not limited to
triples would be (imho) far better to use, especially when "targeting
less technical audiences."    (07)

-- doug foxvog    (08)