Re: [ontolog-forum] Knowledge graphs by Google and Facebook

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:20:43 -0500
On 1/22/13 2:35 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> KI
>> >A DB2 relational dbms that in version 10 is enhanced with RDF data
>> >model storage and SPARQL query language support
> Yes.  Oracle also handles RDF and SPARQL.    (01)

Yes they do.    (02)

>   The vendors who sell graph
> based systems support SQL, and the relational vendors support SPARQL.    (03)

I don't know about that. In my experience, the folks that use the "graph
dbms" moniker typically possess the following characteristics:    (04)

1. preach NoSQL
2. offer product specific graph traversal APIs
3. offer nothing that matches SQL or SPARQL or SQL+SPARQL for aggregates
oriented analytics and ad-hoc querying.    (05)

> The conceptual schema proposals developed by the DB community in the
> 1970s (and '80s and '90s) were intended to support interoperability.    (06)

Yes.    (07)

> They tried to make a clean separation between the logic and the
> implementation details.  The major obstacle was the vendors who
> didn't want interoperability with products sold by their competitors    (08)

Yes.    (09)

This is also the root of my contempt for those vendors :-)    (010)

> John    (011)

--     (012)

Regards,    (013)

Kingsley Idehen