Re: [ontolog-forum] Knowledge graphs by Google and Facebook

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 15:45:08 -0500
On 1/19/2013 2:27 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Why are you comparing SQL (which is used by extensional RDBMS engines)
> and SPARQL (which is used by intensional deductive DBMS engines) ?    (01)

SQL and SPARQL can be used for either open world or closed world
databases.  It is true that nearly all the stuff on the WWW is open
world, but many, if not most relational DBs are also open world.    (02)

In fact, most programmers who have a choice prefer to use SQL notation
rather than SPARQL notation because is much, much easier and far more
intuitive to write complex queries with AND, OR, and NOT.    (03)

As for deductions, most of the data on the WWW is so buggy and
inconsistent that complex deductions are impossible without a huge
amount of further analysis and clean up.    (04)

> Here is a simple example of a tool showing translation from SPARQL
> to natural language constructs: http://sparql2nl.aksw.org/demo.    (05)

That tool was *not* designed to translate arbitrary SPARQL queries
to English.  It was developed for the very specific metadata
conventions used by DBpedia.    (06)

Anybody who designs tools to map NL-like queries to a computable
form of any kind can and *should* support a translator that uses
the same metadata to generate an *echo* in the input NL.  The echo
shows exactly how the computer interpreted the NL input.    (07)

> I bet you will be very hard pressed to find a similar thing for SQL
> that's accessible for direct usage on the Web.    (08)

AI and computational linguists have been generating echos from SQL
since the 1980s.  For an example, see pages 3 and 4 of the following:    (09)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/futures.pdf    (010)

In the 1980s, they didn't have the WWW.  But if the DAML people had
done their duty (i.e., supported SQL as Tim B-L had promised to do
in the DAML proposal), then queries from controlled NLs could be
translated seamlessly to and from any mixture of graph or table DBs.    (011)

That can still be done.  But first it's necessary to get the SemWebbers
to recognize that mainstream IT will continue to ignore them until they
wake up and pay attention to the requirements for mainstream IT.    (012)