Re: [ontolog-forum] Knowledge graphs by Google and Facebook

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:27:01 -0500
On 1/19/13 10:46 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> In logic, we would call those simple "filters" relations.  The advanced
> "filters" are controlled English that could be translated to logical
> expressions.
>
> The Facebook graph is a giant graph DB, and their version of controlled
> English is far more readable and writable than SQL or SPARQL.    (01)

Why are you comparing SQL (which is used by extensional RDBMS engines)
and SPARQL (which is used by intensional deductive DBMS engines) ?    (02)

The work by Facebook and Google doesn't align directly with the Web as a
distributed DBMS as per your comparison above.    (03)

Here is a simple example of a tool showing translation from SPARQL to
natural language constructs: http://sparql2nl.aksw.org/demo.    (04)

I bet you will be very hard pressed to find a similar thing for SQL
that's accessible for direct usage on the Web. And if you do, I'll go
and have a play and share my findings :-)    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software