Re: [ontolog-forum] Intensional relation

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:54:25 -0800

Ed Barkmeyer wrote:

In my limited contact with the medical and life sciences communities, it

has been my experience that the "plain language" is not by any means

"plain".  The language is created by introducing a new term for every

combination of properties that is of interest, either by defining a new

"property", or more commonly by defining a new "class" that inherits

every property but one from some subsuming class and adds the one new

property.  The result is a language in which most of the sentences are

fairly simple and structurally easy to understand, but they depend on a

huge proliferation of terms to accomplish that simplicity.  The concepts

are no less complex, and it requires looking at 5 definitions to

determine what was said.

This approach is the reverse of mathematical notations, which create a

grammar that allows complex statements to be unambiguously written, and

in turn allows the theory to be conveyed with a smaller vocabulary.

My Life Sciences experience is about the same as you describe (a minor in Medical Engineering way back in grad school), but I concur with your assessment.  The number of terms, and their obscure Latinate origins, makes the Life Sciences a memory challenge, while the limited vocabulary of math, along with the dense abstractions intended to divorce math from reality, work against the life sciences approach.  Math is used in life sciences also, but it tends to be pretty limited compared to the computer sciences.

Biology is concerned with a huge number of variant individuals while math is concerned with unrealistic but deep deduction and symbolic manipulation having to do with very little.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com