Re: [ontolog-forum] Intensional relation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:33:49 +0000
I disagree, John. The point of using mathematical (or logical) notation is to
make your statement precise and unambiguous.
    (01)

You can't have it both ways: 1) avoiding terminology wars by using precise
logical statements (witness the recent discussion here on "individual"), and 2)
avoiding logical and  mathematical notation by using supposedly clearer natural
language.
    (02)

One reason for the success of ontological engineering in general, as for formal
ontology in philosophy, is that one can write logical axioms, thereby
curtailing somewhat the endless argumentation in English and other natural
languages that has gone on in philosophy for generations (and often goes on
here).
    (03)

Logic and mathematics are formal tools that ontologists and computer scientists
need to use, so they can express their ontological analysis in logical
expressions that they can then share/compare. Ontological analysis does not
reduce to logical analysis, but uses logic as a way to formalize what it wants
to say.
    (04)

I do think that you need to use simple but precise English for neophytes, but
at some point ontologists (and ontological engineers) need to learn logic and
at least some mathematics. One can use good English and formal definition
together.
    (05)

Thanks,
Leo