[ontolog-forum] Intensional relation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Juan de Nadie <juandenavas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 01:50:16 -0200

Hi.
I'm reading the Guarino's paper "What is an ontology". The paper is very interesting.

But I had some troubles in understand some mathematics. I apologize in advance for my question, since I think that it is very basic one. My doubts are regarding the definition 2.3 of the paper (Intensional relation, or conceptual relation), in page 6. In this definition, Guarino says that:

"An intensional relation (or conceptual relation) ρn of arity n on <D,W> is a total function ρn : W → 2Dn from the set W into the set of all n-ary (extensional) relations on D"

I don't understand the 2Dn, mainly this base 2. Why 2? I think that I don't understand very well the mathematical structures underlying this notions.

Can someone help me in this subject?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.