Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:37:38 -0800

Of all the opinions I have heard yet about the many ways of distinguishing Individuals from the other sorts of names you use in your Ontology, this is the one I like best.  It is a fair-use snippet from his paper

The Causality Application Ontology” by Samuel Richard Dismond III who authored it.

I particularly like the fact that he uses the NAMEs, not the DEFINITIONs, to make distinctions within the domain’s universe of Individuals.  That is a better approach because it is easier to communicate among other human beings on the team

who also have to consider your own peculiar Q&As, adapt to the Q&A, and produce singular Q&As for you as instances of activities and ICOMs, interconnected as needed to perform the function.  Then said instance of an activity communicates right back to you in said instance’s own peculiar Q&A ways.

I like that kind of design iteration between people pairs that makes up the development process.  It is that two way person-to-person link that differs in practice ontology from that of theory ontology.  Theorizing isn’t Actualizing; the description is not the deed.  And as always, the Actual (the measured reality situation at the moment t) can be compared to the Goal situation (using variables, constants, relations, functions and unification constraints).

If everything is OK (Goal matches Actual), they will be identical (Goal=Actual) so there is nothing new to do.  Otherwise, any difference from Goal toward Actual could be set as a subgoal in a Self.Instance, or not, depending on the domain of interest.   Recurse until satisfied.  Then stop.

On this list we seem to debate various properties of Theorized categories.  Actually experienced categories are the ones which people (agents, whatever) have experienced in reality.

The aforesaid Samuel Richard Dismond, III had the luxury of naming each of his personal conceptions with the words he used iteratively and often to think and communicate with others in his domain.  He then wrote interpretations of each class and its components in his own vocabulary of word uses and names.  That made the ontology he developed (the CAO) consistent logically because he could use a single language (his own peculiar one) with its own peculiarities and differences among other classes and components.  That is a singularly linguistic corpus, by my personal definition.

But note that he didn’t start by writing any logic equations to get the ontology finished!  Instead, he relied on meditation, a singularly Individual subjective thing.  Later he wrote down the Situation he himself existentially occupied in the meditation.  When it had been experienced vividly enough, he was able to describe it linguistically, and then later perhaps logically.

Logic is useful in describing the results of meditation, but the experience of that meditation, experienced by a singularly Individual thing yourself, is detailed by experience.  This microcosmic, yet mutually consistent Situation, is an Individual, at least in my own lexicon.

That is how I describe it.  I model every situation using an IDEF0 context and decompositions, objects that I have experienced in detailed ways in this context.

I would design an agent as an IDEF0 activity with its Inputs being the Goal (a control input), the Actual, being both the Input input and the Mechanism input. Then develop decompositions of the IDEF0 activity with whatever constants, variables, knowledge base, etc.  Add And/Or graph search with unification within Context, and with IDEF0 visual and verbal interaction styles.  Fly free young agent! Within this context, that is.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com