Re: [ontolog-forum] UML and Semantics

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 17:34:15 -0500
On 12/8/12 11:57 AM, David C. Hay wrote:
[dch]The syntax should only enable best practices, but "best practices" should be defined.  I have described those extensively in my last two books, but they come down to what I described above:

1. Distinguish between "semantic", "architectural" and "design" models, as described in http://tiny.cc/6c9zow .
2. In architectural and semantic models, only use classes that are "entity types"--classes of things in the real world.
3. In architectural and semantic models, name everything in English.
4. In architectural and semantic models, define relationships as assertions about something in the domain being modeled. as described above.
5. Apply appropriate aesthetic rules to the drawing. This applies to any kind of models. (Another posting, perhaps.)

I really enjoyed your presentation, very well delivered and informative.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO