Re: [ontolog-forum] UML and Semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 18:44:49 -0500
John Sowa wrote:    (01)

> OCL is a very quirky and awkward version of FOL.  I would recommend
> Controlled English as a replacement for OCL.      (02)

Did you have one in mind?  It seems to me that Attempto CE is actually rather
less expressive than CL, to say nothing of OCL.  Adam Pease's CELT has a more
reasonable first-order interpretation, and the formal interpretation of SBVR
Structured English is left as an exercise to the reader.  And all of them have
some Davidsonian view of events and actions, albeit no two alike, which is
radically different from the formal semantics of OCL.    (03)

I would recommend pie in the sky for breakfast myself, but I don't know where
to find one.    (04)

> But it's important to have a
> general-purpose formal logic to define the semantics of all Controlled NLs,
>all
> UML diagrams, and all the AI-based tools.    (05)

One ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.  If there were one,
what would one use for a supporting model theory, I wonder?
(I'm sure I will regret asking...)    (06)

-Ed    (07)