Re: [ontolog-forum] [SMW-devel] [News] Google, Microsoft, Facebook And O

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:55:16 -0400
On Fri, October 12, 2012 07:04, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:    (01)

> BTW: There is a performance/design tradeoff with n-tuples. Look at your
> example:    (02)

>     {{#set_internal:Is president of|Has name=James Madison
>     |Has start year=1801|Has end year=1809|Has vice
>     president#list=George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry}}    (03)

> The binary has_name property stands on its own and should clearly not be
> part of another relation with higher arity but doing it so makes things
> faster.
>    (04)

In what way does the has_name property stand on its own more
than any of the other properties?  This N-tuple does not describe a person.
It describes a Presidency.  If anything, the is_president_of, has_start_year,
and has_end_year stand on their own describing properties of the
presidency, while the properties has_name and has_vice_president
describe the names of other entities that bear a relation to the presidency.    (05)

Some of the names of the properties suggest that they are properties of
a person, not a presidency, but the date properties obviously do not.    (06)

This set appears to be a set of triples.  If we reify this as USPresidency4,
then the triples are:    (07)

  <USPresidency4 is_president_of UnitedStates>
  <USPresidency4 has_name "James Madison">
  <USPresidency4 has_start_year 1801>
  <USPresidency4 has_end_year 1809>
  <USPresidency4 has_vice_president
                          <theList "George Clinton" "Elbridge Gerry">>    (08)

Since "James Madison" is referred to as a name, i'm guessing that
"George Clinton" and "Elbridge Gerry" also are names, not reified
instances of HumanBeing.    (09)

-- doug foxvog    (010)