Re: [ontolog-forum] [SMW-devel] [News] Google, Microsoft, Facebook And O

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:55:15 +0200

Hello John,    (01)

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:25:28PM +0200, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Should the tuple elements have names or are they referenced by a position
> number ? Should the tuple elements have fixed datatypes so that a tuple with
> an element of wrong datatype is rejected ?
>
> Both of these restrictions require a fixed schema that is known in advance or
> looked up from the predicate URI. I don't know if that would be a good idea.    (02)

I think these problems can be solved: For every arity and datatype combination
that is seen in the data for a given predicate, create a separate index.
If tuple element names are used in a query, try to find metadata for the
predicate in the tuple store that assigns the name to a position.    (03)

This way no schema data has to be known in advance.    (04)

With such a tuple store the user would be able to choose between    (05)

1) simple modeling that is fast but potentially bad (relations should have
   lower arity)    (06)

2) complex modeling that is good but potentially slow    (07)

Triples only offer complex modeling that is potentially slow and
potentially bad (relations should have higher arity). But probably modeling
higher arity relations with lower arity relations is not so bad as modeling
lower arity relations with higher arity relations.    (08)

Regards,    (09)

Michael Brunnbauer    (010)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer