Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 01:28:56 -0400
On Wed, September 5, 2012 12:47, Kingsley Idehen wrote:    (01)

> What's not to like about this excerpt:
>
> "In its simplest form, this is a structure that is also supported by
> technologies, such as _RDF_ and _OWL_. However, a semantic model
> includes the following semantic extensions that support an improved
> computer interpretation of such sentences and an improved computerized
> verification of semantic correctness:    (02)

Fine.    (03)

> * Each kind of relation has a modeled definition. Those semantic
> definitions of the relation type includes the definition of the required
> kinds of roles and the allowed kinds of players of such roles.    (04)

Fine.    (05)

> For
> example, the relation type <is located in> requires a physical object in
> a 'locator' role and another physical object in a 'located' role.    (06)

There are many kinds of "is located in" relations which are useful to
tease apart.  A more useful, more generic, form would require a
spatial object in both the 'locator' and 'located' role.  Non-physical
spatial objects (such as school districts or police precincts) could
be in either the 'locator' or 'located' role with such a predicate.    (07)

I would suggest that the example refer to a "spatial object" instead
of a "physical object".    (08)

> * Each individual thing is classified by a kind of thing, because the
> meaning of a relation between individual things can only be interpreted
> correctly when each related individual thing is classified, as well as
> the roles they play and the relation they have.    (09)

I would strike the word "individual", since kinds of things (e.g.,
CanusLupus)
can also be classified by kinds of (meta) things (e.g., BiologicalSpecies).    (010)

I would also clarify this by noting that each thing can be classified by one
or more kinds of things.    (011)

> * The kinds of things are defined by at least a relation with their
> supertype kinds of things,    (012)

Fine.    (013)

> thus forming a taxonomy of concepts (a    (014)

The word "taxonomy" suggests a tree structure.  This should be
clarified to make clear that a directed acyclic graph is a valid
specialization hierarchy.    (015)

> specialization hierarchy, also called a subtype-supertype hierarchy).
> This is necessary for the interpretation of the meaning of the
> classifiers (city, tower, and 'is located in', as well as 'locator' and
> 'located').    (016)

> This results in a universal basic semantic data structure for the
> expression of facts about individual things."    (017)

Again, i'd strike the word "individual".    (018)

-- doug foxvog    (019)