Re: [ontolog-forum] Social interaction and teamwork

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:07:30 -0400
Doug Fox hit on the essence of the simple point I am trying to make:

"What kind of argument is it when one references an instance of something to deny its existence?"

This is the pattern I am referring to as an application of the liar's paradox.
It is not a paradox pattern, but a pattern for making logically inconsistent statements.

It applies, equally, in the very same way, to **any** of the cluster of concepts

truth, knowledge, facts, belief, .....

For instance, if someone asserts

"there is no knowledge"

Well, how do they know that? And if they don't, do they believe it? And if they do, isn't belief
thinking it is true? If they don't belief it, why did they assert it. And if they say it,isn't it because they want to persuade others of its truth?

"There is no truth" is that true?? "There are no facts",is that a fact? etc.

And, if one is engaged in science, and happily makes these kinds of inconsistent statements, then what?

Then, John Sowa and Ed Barkmeyer talk a little about Nietzsche,
fun, and plays on words, Ed discovering that Nietzsche may never had said anything similar to what he was here said to have said, making the whole thing
pretty funny, which I thought was the point of Paul Tyson's

"But we can all agree there are no statements agreed by everyone, right?"

which was perfectly closed out in that same lightened up mood with Simon Spiro's

"It depends".

I have never before witnessed the acceptance of patently inconsistent statements in a scientific forum,
and hoped to find out why they seemed so common in this one, and why this topic even comes up here.
I did not find out, but am encouraged to see the light hearts of some.

Wm