Re: [ontolog-forum] Social interaction and teamwork

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:13:05 -0400
Totally off-topic, I suppose, but...    (01)

John F Sowa wrote:
> Len, William, and Doug,
>
> LY
>
>> Nietzsche once said "... the are no facts, only interpretations".
>>

> I enjoy reading Nietzsche.  He had many good insights and the ability
> to state them in ways that are memorable and stimulate the imagination.
> But this example illustrates a typical literary technique:  a play on
> two (or more) different senses of a word.
>       (02)

The problem with this idea is that Nietzche wrote in German, and the
play on words in that language may well exist (Nietzsche was fond of
such things), but it is unlikely to be the same.    (03)

That said, I have made an effort to find the German original of the
quotation Len offered, which is commonly bandied about from some
well-known translations of Nietzsche's work.  I came up empty.  The
closest I found is:    (04)

""Es gibt gar keine moralischen Phänomene, sondern nur eine moralische
Ausdeutung von Phänomenen."    (05)

Which is to say:  There are no moral phenomena (at all), only a moral
interpretation of phenomena.
(which nearly matches my recollection of the context)    (06)

If anyone can point me to the German original of Len's quotation, I
would be grateful.  And it might well support John's thesis in
interesting ways.    (07)

-Ed    (08)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (09)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (010)