Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Google Knowledge Graph

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 21:40:39 +0000
The public-lod@xxxxxx list has a long thread going on about access to this, as
Kingsley Idehen, a contributor to that list and to ontolog-forum, can attest.    (01)

Personally, I think that Google is doing this slow, constrained access to
Knowledge Graph to generate buzz.     (02)

I am very much in favor of the Semantic Web, semantic search/discovery, and the
use of ontologies and semantic technologies to support that, including
eventually Common Logic, but I also favor open source and standards-based
approaches, as opposed to proprietary and patented solutions.     (03)

The Linked Data movement is really trying to provide a Structural Web basis for
the Semantic Web, using RDF and its graph model + URIs, and would have, in a
more perfect world, preceded the SW. Instead they (LD) are trying to now
provide that substrate.     (04)

Again, that's my personal opinion.    (05)

Thanks,
Leo    (06)