Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:03:20 -0500
On 3/30/2012 5:07 PM, Hills, Scott J. (SJHills) (SJHills) wrote:
> If so, does Utopia Document provide what would be regarded as a usable UI?    (01)

There are many very good UIs for end users.    (02)

My concern is the development of good UIs for people who are developing
ontologies and/or specifications for databases, knowledge bases, etc.
 From the 13th to the 19th centuries, every university freshman took
a course on logic based on Aristotle's syllogisms.    (03)

Today, 99% of the published OWL ontologies don't use anything beyond
that subset of logic.  But none of the notations for OWL are as usable,
readable, and teachable as the notations for logic that used to be
taught to every college freshman.    (04)

For an example of the kind of notations and the kind of textbook that
could be used, see the book that Sister Miriam Joseph wrote to teach
freshman English majors at St. Mary's college from the 1930s to 1960:    (05)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trivium-Liberal-Grammar-Rhetoric/dp/0967967503/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333160380&sr=1-1    (06)

This book costs $12, and you can browse through it on the Amazon site.
The book was originally published in 1937, but some of Sister Miriam's
former students started a campaign to get it reprinted.  It has an
Amazon ranking of #6320 among books.  (Compare that rank to any book
about the Semantic Web or related topics.)    (07)

After the success with this textbook, the same publisher reprinted
Sister Miriam's PhD dissertation at Columbia University.  Its rank
at Amazon is #253,528, which is amazing for a PhD dissertation:    (08)

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeares-Language-Sister-Miriam-Joseph/dp/158988048X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2    (09)

This kind of logic was taught to freshman *English majors* not to
MIT math or comp. sci. majors.  But anybody who took Sister Miriam's
course would have a solid foundation for developing ontologies.    (010)