Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:06:30 -0400
On 3/29/12 4:58 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 3/29/2012 9:54 AM, Mike Bennett wrote:
>> Vannevar Bush seems to imply or assume that somewhere along the
>> line someone would create a usable user interface that would
>> correspond to his description here. I think we're still waiting
>> on that.
> I agree.  My hope was that the Semantic Web might do that, but they
> ignored half a century of R&  D on how to develop user friendly
> languages and tools.
>
> I haven't completely given up on the Sem Web, but they will need
> to rethink their entire design strategy.    (01)

Hmm. the key matter is bootstrap strategy. For instance, Linked Data has
focused successfully on the use of hyperlinks to enhance Web scale
structured data while minimizing relations and their semantics at the
front door. That's much better than the mistake of yore where the there
was a format and syntax fixation that obscured to routes to recognizing
Linked Data as a critical point of bootstrap.    (02)

If we can keep RDF and Linked Data separate, at least at the front door,
the self describing nature of Linked Data (with its limited relation
semantics requirements) will deliver what you seek. We are much closer
that is sometimes obvious :-)    (03)

Links:    (04)

1. http://webdatacommons.org/#toc2 -- structured data in EAV/SPO form
that may or may not include Linked Data fidelity    (05)

Kingsley

> John

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen