Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:23:56 -0400
On 3/17/12 9:45 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> I haven't given up on Tim B-L's vision, but after 18 years, it's
> time to rethink the strategy for implementing it.  I suggest that
> the W3C take a hard look at what Apple, IBM, and Google did.    (01)

As of right now, none of the above have produced systems in line with
the aspects of TimBL's vision which you like. By this I mean, they don't
deliver open (truly platform agnostic)  variations of work (between time
of Aristotle and 2000) at this point in time. None of this work requires
data representation format, identifier type, application, service, or
platform oriented silos.    (02)

TimBL put out the Linked Data meme [1] to basically shine alternative
light on the Semantic Web vision; basically, a step away from the
confusing cloud of RDF. Remember, since putting out that meme Linked
Data has exploded on the World Wide Web and the likes of Google have
taken notice.    (03)

BTW - you left out Facebook, this is a company that has already imbibed
the Linked Data meme and incorporated it in a stealthy manner. All 850
million+ profiles in Facebook [2] individually resolve to profiles
comprised of Linked Data Graph. Yes, every Facebook member has a URI
that resolves to a descriptor resource (or data object resource) that
bears the representation of said members profile. The aforementioned
representations are served to user agents in Turtle or JSON formats.    (04)

In addition to what Facebook is doing, the Linked Open Data Cloud has
been growing exponentially, ditto adoption of these same patterns by the
U.S. and UK governments with many other national governments in very
close pursuit.    (05)

This hasn't happened because of RDF/XML (the original W3C mandated
syntax for Web scale Linked Data via the Semantic Web Project), it's
happened because the architecture of the World Wide Web (which you like
and agree with) is dexterous enough to facilitate visions and works from
the past modulo the distractions associated with genealogically
challenged RDF narratives that dominated the landscape pre 2007 -- when
the Linked Data initiative was officially bootstrapped.    (06)

Today, the World Wide Web (WWW) has already successfully transitioned
from an Information Space of Linked Documents to an Intensional Data
Space of Linked Data. It's all happened in a stealthy and unobtrusive way.    (07)

Links:    (08)

1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html -- note. RDF that meme
doesn't refer to a specific format like RDF/XML its about the model
2. http://goo.gl/dlTWF -- Facebook and Linked Data
3. http://www.data.gov/semantic -- U.S. Govt.
4. http://data.gov.uk/linked-data -- UK Govt.
5. http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/ -- Linked Open Data Cloud.    (09)