Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:33:00 -0500
On 3/17/2012 9:38 AM, William Frank wrote:
> while the official semantics of UML make that UML semantics a dead end,
> hanging off the end of an aging programming style.    (01)

UML is a collection of diagram types that are used for various aspects
of semantics.  They started with 6 diagrams and have grown to 14.
There is no reason why anybody has to use all of them, and there
is no reason why more (or different) diagram types can't be added.    (02)

Just look at three of the basic diagrams:    (03)

  1. The class diagrams are based on the Tree of Porphyry, which
     was introduced about 1800 years ago to represent Aristotle's
     categories.  It represents the backbone of any ontology,
     including anything represented in OWL.    (04)

  2. The Entity-Relationship diagrams are based on Bachman diagrams
     and Chen's E-R diagrams from the 1960s and '70s.  They represent
     signatures and cardinality constraints that are useful for any
     version of logic, including OWL.    (05)

  3. The component diagrams represent part-whole relations that are
     also represented in any ontology language, including OWL.    (06)

Those three diagrams alone cover 99% of the OWL ontologies.  Translating
them to any version of logic (including OWL) is trivial.    (07)

> ... being academic sticklers for every word everyone uses, (important
> in standards documents, but in emails?), instead of taking a generous
> view of others' intents, and the arrogance of standards bodies, has
> brought us to this tragic state of affairs.    (08)

What tragic state of affairs?  My recommendation is to look at what
Google, Apple, and IBM have been doing.  Their profits are soaring.    (09)

The WWW is big, but the SW is tiny.  And the big boys make money
without using the SW tools.  They must be doing something right.    (010)