Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:20:04 +0000
On 3/14/2012 12:43 PM, David Eddy wrote:
> David -
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 8:10 AM, David Price wrote:
>
>> What they've likely been told is
>> that, compared to other identification mechanisms, HTTP URIs have very
>> nice characteristics and so are a good choice in many scenarios:
>
> What does the organization (or an individual) do when HTTP/URI is not an
> inherent part of the environment?    (01)

A URI is also just a string. If you don't like URIs or strings then do
something else, obviously. Organizations often though just make their
strategy such that when they extract data from those systems they can
generate nice URIs. For example, with RDBs some organizations put a
small triplestore nearby to link across them and then wrap them with
something like D2RQ to make those nice URIs available for query.    (02)

> This is feeling like the drunk looking for his car keys under the
> street lamp
> because that's where the light is.    (03)

What part of 'are a good choice in many scenarios' would lead anyone to
believe I'd said 'everywhere for everything'? I'm not sure what it is
about this forum that makes people say things like this, but it is
common.  Sticking with this kind of metaphor though, seems a bit like
the drunk sitting on a park bench shouting at people as they walk past.    (04)

> There's a HUGE amount of organizational software functionality that's no
> where near web protocols.    (05)

... and there's a lot that is. I'm not sure why this is any kind of
problem wrt my reply, other than perhaps it wasn't read in full.    (06)

Cheers,
David    (07)

--
Managing Director and Consultant
TopQuadrant Limited. Registered in England No. 05614307