Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:42:24 -0400
On 3/14/12 8:43 AM, David Eddy wrote:
> David -
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 8:10 AM, David Price wrote:
>
>> What they've likely been told is
>> that, compared to other identification mechanisms, HTTP URIs have very
>> nice characteristics and so are a good choice in many scenarios:
>
> What does the organization (or an individual) do when HTTP/URI is not an
> inherent part of the environment?
>

> This is feeling like the drunk looking for his car keys under the
> street lamp
> because that's where the light is.
>
> There's a HUGE amount of organizational software functionality that's no
> where near web protocols.    (01)

Yes, and the whole lot can be mapped to URIs. And when resolution is a
requirement HTTP is there of cost-effective exploitation if WAN scale of
the InterWeb is relevant.    (02)

I think people misunderstand what URIs are and how they affect data
access and data integration.    (03)

In different guises, blending disparate structured data boils down to
establishing identifiers for:    (04)

1. data objects
2. data object access addresses.    (05)

The above bring portability and dexterity to:    (06)

1. data object representation models
2. data object representation formats
3. data object access protocols.    (07)

Context fluidity is a timeless challenge for data access and
integration. The above take us a long way towards alleviating said
challenges.    (08)

Today, we hear a lot about BigData or 'Big Data' and very little about
the fundamental realities associated with:    (09)

1. exponential growth of data volume
2. exponential growth of data velocity
3. exponential growth of data variety (heterogeneity)
3. exponential growth of data location disparity.    (010)

You can't deal with these matters without URIs in your arsenal.    (011)

Ontologies, Inference Rules, Data Objects etc.. can all be combined in
powerful ways that enable subject matter experts solve complex data
integration problems. When done right, the end products of said efforts
scale by fitting naturally into virtuous Linked Data clouds as
exemplified burgeoning Web of Linked Data. Note, when I refer to Linked
Data I am not implying a use-case that only applies to the public HTTP
network aka. the World Wide Web.    (012)

My mantra is very simple re. contemporary data access and integration
matters: URI Everything and Everything is Cool! :-)    (013)

> ___________________
> David Eddy
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--     (015)