Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology: Emotions in animals

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:32:14 -0500
Rich and Doug,    (01)

RC
> This is a post from another newsgroup    (02)

I have only watched the first documentary so far, and I agree
that it's interesting.    (03)

DF
> I find it curious to equate "emotional drives" with
> "self interest".  I agree that there are relationships
> between various drives and *perceived* self interest,
> but would hold that the relationship between them and
> self interest is more complex.    (04)

The basic point I found in the documentary is that manipulative
people can play on people's emotions to get them to do things
that are not in their own self interest.    (05)

But that is true of manipulative people in any group of any size,
ranging from a nuclear family up to organizations of any kind.
Those include a nuclear family, a school clique, a fraternity
or other social group with perverse hazing practices, and huge
groups with the power to manipulate millions of people -- for
example, governments, corporations, and organized religions.    (06)

RC
> But both of these people told me that it was the
> emotions of the subject which are incongruent with
> the words, or the situation in which they fit.    (07)

That's a good point.  But note that it takes a great deal of
training and experience to learn how to detect the the liars.    (08)

And there are many professional liars who are able to manipulate
experts who should know better -- Bernie Madoff, for example.    (09)