Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology: Emotions in animals

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:22:07 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, January 2, 2012 22:42, Rich Cooper said:
> Dear Self Interested Ontologists,    (01)

> This is a post from another newsgroup    (02)

Thanks for sharing this, Rich.    (03)

> which I
> think demonstrates how basic the emotional drives
> (i. e. self interest) are.    (04)

I find it curious to equate "emotional drives" with
"self interest".  I agree that there are relationships
between various drives and *perceived* self interest,
but would hold that the relationship between them and
self interest is more complex.    (05)

The article below discusses that electrical stimulation
of subcortical regions for the various emotional arousals
have been used as "rewards" and "punishments" in various
experiments.    (06)

The emotions referred to are:
>> ... Seven types of emotional arousals
>> have been described; using a special capitalized
>> nomenclature for such primary process emotional
>> systems, they are SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, LUST, CARE,
>> PANIC/GRIEF and PLAY.    (07)

It seems non-intuitive to me that PANIC and GRIEF would
be so tied together, that their regions of activation
would not be distinguishable, when the others would.    (08)

> Even simple animals have them,    (09)

The below post only stated that they were present in all
vertebrates -- not in anything simpler.  Perhaps you meant
to write "simple vertebrates".    (010)

-- doug f    (011)

> as has often been denied in the
> literature, but which is clarified in this post.    (012)

> HTH,
>
> -Rich
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Rich Cooper
>
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
>
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
>
> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2
>
>   _____

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (014)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.