Re: [ontolog-forum] NLP2RDF

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:30:58 -0500 (EST)
[I found this unsent email in an Drafts area.  I'm not sure if i posted
a later version, or not.  I'm responding to John Sowa's and Pat Hayes's
discussion of RDF using URLs differently with different predicates.
I'm sorry if this is actually a re-post, but i don't think so. -- df]    (01)

On Sun, December 4, 2011 12:23, Pat Hayes said:
> On Dec 4, 2011, at 12:55 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>> At the semantic level, a serious flaw of RDF is the complete lack of
>> typing.    (02)

> .... True, RDF itself is not syntactically typed,
> .... It does however have a notion of type: indeed, the
> first item in the RDF vocabulary is rdf:type.    (03)

>>  There is no way to indicate that a URI is intended to represent
>> a literal (the URI itself), the document identified by the URI, the
>> content of that document, or the result of evaluating that content
>> (if it happens to contain some executable or interpretable language).    (04)

> The 'ambiguity' of URI
> references is intrinsic to the very idea of any first-order notation: it
> is like saying that you don't 'know' what kind of thing a logical name is
> intended to denote. Indeed, you don't, which is exactly why we write
> axioms (AKA ontologies) to help fix those intended referents.    (05)

I'd suggest that the referent of the URI should be dependent upon the
predicate.  Predicate types could be defined such that one variety
refers to an argument as a string, another refers to what the URI
identifies, and a third denotes some property of what the URI identifies,
with that property being specified by a meta-property.  E.g.,    (06)

  (referencedArgument designatedByURI 1)
  (quotedArgument designatedByURI 2)    (07)

  (indirectArgument2 understandsDocument documentContent)    (08)

The main problem i find with RDF is its restriction to triples.    (010)

> Pat    (011)

>> John
doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (012)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.