Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:45:14 -0500
On 07/11/2011 12:04 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> The issues you raise below are repeats of the ones
> we have already discussed.  I think your view
> won't change on this, so I suggest we move on to
> something we can get our minds into, such as the
> definition of Keynesian economics.
>
> Keynes believed that by injecting liquidity into
> the economy (i.e., by increasing the money supply)
> government could stimulate the economy.  He did
> not, as Hazlitt points out, take the full measure
> of the situation; the taxes extracted from the
> economy or the losses due to borrowing money to
> inject, both come from productive economic markets
> which must be reduced to get the charge of money
> that is injected.
Not clear that this is true.
If your taxes remove non-productive money (off-shore assets, foreign
travel, non-productive assets)  and put it into productive efforts such
as dam building, road building, public infrastructure, rail
construction, etc. which are labour intensive and support a lot of
private sector activity, you allow the private sector to expand and
develop corporate and individual capabilities
The private sector also gets the benefits of cheap power, more efficient
roads, cheaper infrastructure costs, high-speed rail and lower freight
costs, etc. that last a long time and build more wealth.
It is not clear that this reduces economic markets at all. It just
shuffles it about and removes the premium for financial risk which makes
the projects move faster.
It also broadens the tax base and improves the general sense of
well-being in a country.    (01)

If you print money rather than borrow it, you devalue your currency
which helps exporters
This, in turn, provides national relief by shifting the problem
elsewhere(hopefully to some country you don't care about - China was
only partly worried about the effect of its artificially low currency on
the rest of the world and was happy to have the high growth from exports).    (02)

If you take the taxes and spend it paying rent and buying food and
services in another country (think military bases), you do not get the
long term benefits and lose most of the short-term effect.    (03)

If you pay teachers, firemen, street cleaners, etc. they pay mortages,
rent, food, clothes which mostly comes from the private sector. Not much
long-term benefits unless the firemen put out a fire at your place or
educate someone who goes on to get a job rather than be on public
assistance.    (04)

> By not including that loss in his calculations,
> Keynes committed the error of incorrectly drawing
> the lines of the economic system he studied.
> Hazlitt made that clear, and therefore improved
> knowledge of how the Keynesian strategies ignored
> a significant part of the system he studied.    (05)

But it did regulate the ups and downs of the economy for both Democratic
and Republican administrations as John pointed out.    (06)

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx