Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal and categories in BFO & DOLCE

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 22:18:48 +0300
On Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:48 PM, Pat Browne wrote:
"Question 1: In DOLCE is the relationship between Categories and Universals
also a subsumption relation, with the caveat the categories are higher up
the hierarchy than universals?"    (01)

That's rather confusing. The relationship between universal and particular,
as between the common and the unique, the abstract and the concrete, the
general and the individual,  category and instance, one and many, class and
member, same and other, essence and individual, concept and fact, intension
and extension, whole and part, common name and particuar name, dating long
back as humanity started reflecting.
Also, the word "universal" say for itself: "universal" is about a unity,
while "particular" means participation.    (02)

"Question 2: In DOLCE could it be the case a particular could be an
element of a universal and an element of a category as follows: ((P
isElementOf U) and (U isSubsetOf C) => (P isElementOf C) = true)."    (03)

That's another misconception.
In fact, ((P isElementOf U) and (U isSubsetOf C) => (P isElementOf C) =
false)."
You may discard the ontologies which are missing to formulate that "the
class membership relationship is not transitive, while the class inclusion
is transitive."
Here is a staple example: "An individual human is a member of the class of
humans. The class of humans is a member of the class of species of animals.
But a human being is not a member of the class of species." Since increasing
the number of humans you are not returning any extinct species of animals.
Re the assumptions, John gave a good introduction. It's very significant to
start studying ontology from the sensible ontologies...    (04)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (05)