Re: [socop-forum] [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Socop Forum <socop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:46:28 -0400
Early on in this discussion John used the example of terminologies “cutting up a continuous
 range of variation into a discrete set of categories
” and offered examples of:  river, stream,
 creek, brook, rivulet.
He then noted that:
JS> Such terms can make up a very useful terminology.  But they aren't part of an ontology
 until you develop some theory about what they might denote.

Later John clarified the use of theory in the sense we have from Logic as a deductive closure over axioms.  I know this topic has come up before, but I sometimes feel that we are jumping back and forth between theory in the sense of science theory (QED was cited as an example) and theory from the point of view of Logic.

I see both as relevant and like some of the distinctions that Nicola Guarino made back in the intro to Formal Ontology in Information Systems (1998). The way I interpret his formulation is that  a formal ontology product is a conceptualization for a Domain (C for D) by means of axiomatic commitments (K) expressible in a Language (L) using some Model. Viewed this way ontologies start from “Analysis and Conceptualization”.

John’s example was the cutting up of some water domain into various categories (rivers, steams etc.) that often come to have a term associated with it. We might have an application dealing with floods in  which these distinctions are important. To start on a quality ontology for such an application it should be able to make meaningful statements about what exists in its focused domain.  So river and stream ideas might be organized along a hydrological theory of what brings water collections into existence and what natural processes, such as downhill streaming flows, they follow. The hydrological concepts are more basic and underlie the real world phenomena at the river-stream level. For many applications they will therefore organized things.

Thus :

  • water within a river (or other watercourses) is generally collected from precipitation through surface runoff, groundwater recharge, springs, as well as the seasonal release of stored water.
  • Stored water may include what is held by dams but usually is from natural ice and snow packs (e.g., from glaciers).

This conceptual theory specifies various classes of real objects (e.g. snow pack) and process (e.g. spring runoff), and relations (e.g. precipitates, thaws) that we assert applies among instances of such classes, as well as relationships among such classes and their instances.

Now all of this conceptualization may precede the formalization into axioms, but for IT applications we need to formalize these axioms in a language that on the one hand faithfully reflects this conceptualization and on the other can be processed by applications.

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.   gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:37 AM, AzamatAbdoullaev <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
"And therein lies the problem: why do we have to choose the best one devoid of context? "Horses for courses" as they say back in the UK. There is no universal best one :-)"
Agree.
Each good definition, as well as classification, has its strength and weaknesses.
It comes from different ways we define words or classify things. We construct definitions by reference to:
1. genus and differentia
2. causes (genesis, origin, material cause, formal cause, final cause, or productive cause)
3. principal features
4. functions
5. dichotomy or division
6. component parts
7. extrinsic signs
8. purposes or interests, etc.
On the positive side, there are two broad types of ontological definitions/classifications: real definitions and nominal definitions. The nominal one is mostly arbitrary, relating substance with accident, while the real definitions/classifications tend to reflect/represent the nature of things as adequately as possible. I believe, it could be used as a criterion of best choice.
Regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev