Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 10:29:54 -0400
John -    (01)

On 2011-05-03, at 9:16 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

> My recommendation for anyone who is trying to define anything is
> to check a good dictionary for an independent opinion.    (03)

Agreed.    (04)

But what about the very common situation where neither the word/
phrase not the definition is in any of the "professional" dictionaries?    (05)

Much of the language inside an organization—e.g. professional jargon,
slang, acronyms, etc.—does not appear in formal dictionaries.    (06)

By example, George Miller's "Ambiguous Words"   http://
www.kurzweilai.net/ambiguous-words   offers an average of 10 meanings
per word.    (07)

My prototype dictionary has an average of 34 meanings per word/term.    (08)