Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 09:28:41 -0400
On 5/1/2011 2:01 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> If you do business internationally, you will also have to map the views
> of foreign governments into your own view of transactions and assets.
> The odds of China, the US and EU agreeing on a common view of revenue,
> expense classes and tax treatment of transactions is zero.    (01)

That is true for many, many kinds of things.    (02)

As I mentioned in my previous note, Louisiana has been part of the
US for 208 years.  But their legal structure still hasn't been fully
assimilated to the other 49 states.    (03)

For an example, use your favorite search engine for info about the
"Uniform Commercial Code" for the states in the USA.  The first draft
was written in 1942.  After ten years of discussion and revision,
it was published in 1952.    (04)

Various states adopted it one by one.  Louisiana finally adopted it
in 1990 -- but with some exceptions.    (05)

How many people would like to bet on a target date for a world-wide
"uniform commercial code"?  How about a world-wide ontology that
covers everything?    (06)