Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:14:34 -0700

Jack,

You write below:

Patrick Durusau and I tackled the "who gets to decide" issue in an

Ontolog conference call [1] in which we argued for a mapping approach

that implies that virtually all choices are available, the final

decision being left up to the user's particular needs.

That is a great goal - preserving all the possible options for the final fitting of the ontology to the application.

How do you document the options so that the final fitter understands the available choices?  Given the open approach and its clear advantages over a one-size-fits-all ontology, a secondary issue is managing the spectrum of choices among multiple component ontologies.

One approach I've seen to that issue for software components is the visual component library (VCL) originally from Borland, which comes with a moderately documented help file system.  A more productive approach would be to match the application requirements and design statements to a suite of components using automated means, a kind of ontology CAD system that helps the user configure practical ontology components into operational application prototypes very quickly.  That makes a short generate-and-evaluate cycle, leading to effectively leveraging the components while still in conceptual design.  Clearly that is a useful secondary issue for ontologies as well.

How do you forsee configuring of component ontologies into applications?

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

To Ron's "just not possible", I would argue "nothin's impossible" but

rather, highly unlikely.

Patrick Durusau and I tackled the "who gets to decide" issue in an

Ontolog conference call [1] in which we argued for a mapping approach

that implies that virtually all choices are available, the final

decision being left up to the user's particular needs.

Jack

[1] http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_04_27

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Ron Wheeler

<rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>