Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge fusion

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 01:39:46 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, February 28, 2011 12:41, Schiffel, Jeffrey A said:
> Azamat,
>
> Contrary to your statement, "...classification/sorting/categorization is
> hardly among a basic mental operation," those are actually basic mental
> operations.    (01)

I think you are talking past each other and i agree with each.    (02)

I took Azamat to be referring to setting up formal structures of
classification, while i understand Jeffrey to be referring to
assigning categories to anything sensed in order to think about it.    (03)

As John Sowa has commented, assigning basic categories is a very basic
task that animals engage in.  Non-human animals classify items as food,
something to flee, mating prospect, home, water, own group, and other
categories depending upon species.    (04)

However, setting up complex formal structures of categories is not
such a basic mental operation.    (05)

> They are how we understand the world, and how we revise our understanding
> when presented with new and conflicting information.
>
> They are also the motivators for much of our artificial intelligence
> research like ontology development, because we are looking for external
> assistance for those mental activities.    (06)

Somehow, i don't think of motivation for AI research as a basic mental
operation.    (07)

-- doug foxvog    (08)

> -- Jeff

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (010)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.