Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of everything?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:28:06 -0500
John Sowa wrote:
> >> But a top-down, monolithic, detailed, universal ontology of
> everything is not only impossible to achieve...

 And .....

> In notes to the SUO list and Ontolog Forum for the past ten years,
> I've been giving reasons upon reasons why it is futile to search
> for a perfect top-level ontology.  Yet many people have continued
> to propose such things.  Every one of those proposals has been
> severely criticized as inadequate, usually for multiple theoretical
> and practical reasons.
>    (01)

There is in my mind a vast difference between a " top-down, monolithic,
detailed, universal ontology of everything" and a " perfect top-level
ontology".  Perhaps John could supply examples of these two different things
that have actually been proposed by someone.  I don't recall any.    (02)

  There is, of course, a "perfect top-level ontology" being the possible
*basic* things that can exist in the real world, combined by the laws of
physics  - - but no one I know of has proposed that s/he has figured out
that ultimate theory of everything.  When it comes to domain ontologies,
there are of course an infinite number that can be generated by combinations
of the basic entities.  In this discussion it would be useful to give
specific examples of what has been proposed and provide specific criticisms
of that.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.