Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:22:34 +0200
On Sunday, February 13, 2011, Vincent Wright wrote:
"With respect to your statement that "The most dangerous offenders are politicians who repeat half truths until they make the voters believe them.", I disagree with you there, too."
John was too kind to politicians. I'd say " The most dangerous offenders are politicians who repeat lies until they make the voters believe them."
VW:
"More dangerous to me are quoters who think they're thinkers..
Had he still been alive, even Alfred North Whitehead, himself,  would roll his eyes at how vapid this old statement of his is:   "Every great truth is only half true."
If that statement is a "great truth" then it, itself, is only "half true"  - and if it's only half true then, why bother sharing it with us?"

Asha: He indeed is a big thinker. Re the quote. it sounds like: ?There are no whole truths: All truths are half-truths?, and who ..."treat them as whole truths that plays the devil?, Oscar Wilde.
There are many wise quotes of Truth,   like as:
"The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives." (A. Einstein)
?The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths.? (W. James)
?A great truth is a truth whose opposite is also a truth.? (T. Mann, who was one of my favorite writer),  http://creatingminds.org/quotes/truth.htm.
What i'd propose to view here to escape any semantic ambiguity, the status of truth: Ontological, Epistemological, Logical, Scientific, Empirical, Common Sense, ... This could make a critical difference.
Azamat Abdoullaev