Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:17:16 -0500
On 2/10/11 4:10 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> KI
>> >  DBpedia, and many datasets from the LOD cloud provided great sources of
>> >  facts to Watson.
> I fully support the idea of using whatever resources are available
> -- both unstructured and highly structured.  At VivoMind, we use
> anything and everything we can find, and we make it available to
> any process that might need it.  Since retrieval time is logarithmic,
> it doesn't cost much to add more data -- provided that you have
> enough disks to store it.    (01)

Yep!    (02)

I would still like to work out something with you re. adding VivoMind to
a bulk content ingestion workflow that adds more facts to existing
Linked Data graphs e.g. LOD cloud cache.    (03)

I also share your opinion with regards to pulling this off with far less
hardware.    (04)

> KI
>> >  Watson is a demonstration of what can be achieved when you combine NLP
>> >  and Deductive DBMS technology -- where Linked Data and lots of other
>> >  Semantic Web Project outputs contribute.
> But I would add other points that Ferrucci emphasized:  machine
> learning, the derivation and testing of multiple hypotheses,
> statistic, and heuristics.  I always emphasize that deduction is
> only 25% of Peirce's Cycle of Pragmatism; induction, abduction,
> and testing are the other 75%.    (05)

Yes! I should have emphasized that in my comments, actually. In short,
Machine Learning algorithms are absolutely vital with regards to
Watson's potency as a Jeopardy contestant :-)
> I believe the greatest strength of Watson is their combined use
> of multiple paradigms.  That is the theme of the following paper:    (06)

Amen!    (07)

>      http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/paradigm.pdf
>      Two Paradigms are Better than One,
>      And Multiple Paradigms are Even Better    (08)

Regards,    (010)

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software