Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:53:03 +0100
On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:27 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:

> In any case, the Watson project shows that terabytes of documents are
> far more important for commonsense reasoning than the millions of
> formal axioms in Cyc.  That does not mean that the Cyc ontology is
> useless, but it undermines the original assumptions for the Cyc
> project:  commonsense reasoning requires a huge knowledge base
> of hand-coded axioms together with a powerful inference engine.    (01)

I havent seen the PBS or followed the Watson but Im curious about the results
with respect to what could happen to the applications of genetic algorithms,
neural nets etc as experienced in the finance industry.  By training the system
to hard the system becomes very good at explaining the past but poor at
predicting the future.     (02)

Is the Watson system good at  visiting the future?    (03)

/anders    (04)