[ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 21:37:27 -0500
Tonight on PBS, there is a program about the IBM computer that plays
Jeopardy.  The following IBM site lists the names of the participants
on the project:    (01)

http://www-943.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/research-team/algorithms.html    (02)

I know a few of the people from my olden days at IBM, but most
of them joined after I left IBM    (03)

Their project leader, David Ferruci, gave a lecture, which is
available on the IBM web site:    (04)

http://www-943.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/watson-for-a-smarter-planet/building-a-jeopardy-champion/how-watson-works.html    (05)

 From what I gather, they are using familiar NLP techniques, but putting
a huge amount of computer power behind them.  I would call it a good
engineering solution to a specific problem.  It can probably be
generalized to a wider range of problems.    (06)

In any case, I am very pleased to see that IBM is showing the world
that the traditional technology of AI and NLP can really be made to
work when you put some effort into doing it.    (07)

IBM is doing that with a brute force supercomputer.  But with better
algorithms, it's possible to get comparable performance with much
less hardware.    (08)