Re: [ontolog-forum] 3D+1 (was presentism...was blah blah blah)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 11:53:27 -0500
Pat and Jawit,    (01)

Thanks to Jawit for finding the article by Pat Hayes:    (02)

    http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/Trickledown2004.pdf    (03)

I agree with Pat that various locations for attaching a "time stamp"
have been proposed for a variety of philosophical reasons, but that
they can be related to one another by purely syntactic transformations.    (04)

For conceptual graphs, I have usually preferred to attach time to
a node of type Situation, which contains a nested CG that describes
the situation.  But I showed that any such nested structure can be
systematically converted to a flat structure by a method similar
to Pat's:    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/laws.htm
    Laws, Facts, and Contexts: Foundations for Multimodal Reasoning    (06)

There are many issues involved, which are discussed in that paper
and which I won't repeat here.    (07)

I wrote that paper before the IKRIS project developed the IKL
logic, but I believe that the method I proposed for nested
graph models and the method that Pat proposed for handling
time can be generalized and adapted to IKL.    (08)

But note that the translation from the nested notation to
the flat notation *increases* the size of the specification.    (09)

In both the graph notation and the linear notation, a lot
of extra information (nodes and arcs for the graphs or
copies of the time parameter in the linear form) must
be added to the "flat" notation.    (010)