Re: [ontolog-forum] 3D+1 (was presentism...was blah blah blah)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:31:55 -0000
Doug,    (01)

DF> Don't you consider the distinction between physical objects and events/
> occurrences to be ontologically meaningful?      (02)

As I am sure you know, the distinction has long been regarded as
problematic. The standard examples of problematic cases are avalanches and
waves - which seem to have the properties of both.
If one wanted to make it "ontologically meaningful" then a good description
would go a long way.
The syntactic difference between nouns and verbs is, of course, easier to
make - and might be the root for folk intuitions about objects and events.    (03)

Regards,
Chris    (04)