Re: [ontolog-forum] Quote for the day -- KR and KM

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Zhuk, Yefim" <Yefim.Zhuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:00:41 -0500
John,    (01)

Thanks for your excellent (as always) summary.    (02)

Yes, very soon after we moved from "there is a business case for ontology" to
"work on this case", we realized necessity of modular approach in creating
ontology of ontologies.     (03)

Besides the small selection of the knowledge acquisition tools, there is a need
(not covered) to tune these tools in such a way that they can give immediate
benefits to the subject matter experts (SME). Otherwise it's close to
impossible to engage subject the SME in the process.    (04)

EB:
> We need to get the foundational ontologies out there...    (05)

John:
>That would be useful.  But if that were sufficient..    (06)

John is right. This is not sufficient. Another missing component is our current
state of information. It's very poor from semantic perspectives. Ontology tools
will not enrich existing data and elevate them to the knowledge level. But
these tools will help us to realize what needs to be done in this direction,
help us to learn knowledge engineering skills.     (07)

It's two way street, we not only need better ontology tools but we (all
knowledge workers, people who put data in) need to be more logically correct
and skillful.
Hopefully, this demand will create a school that teaches the skill inside every
professional field.    (08)

Yefim (Jeff)    (09)