Re: [ontolog-forum] Quote for the day

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:24:54 +0100
Ed, John,    (01)

On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:

>> The above is an example of an eco-system view of ontologies.
>
> After the abuse of this term in OMG and elsewhere, I don't know what an
> 'ontology eco-system' might be. So if Anders says this is one, who am I
> to argue?    (02)

I dont think I use the term in the sense OMG use it.     (03)

In this case it means a community of interacting organisms (organization/etc)
that use tools (signs/ontologies/models/etc.) they
own/use/manage/adopt/adapt/etc to influence themselves or other organisms or
objects.  The signs/ontologies/models/etc. are related statically and/or
procedurally. The community has not been assigned a purpose from the outside
and is not under anyones sole control.    (04)

On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:59 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> AT:
>> The above is an example of an eco-system view of ontologies.
>
> I like that phrase.  Interoperability does not require a single
> universal ontology, but an ecosystem of ontologies at different levels
> of detail and with different ways of specializing that detail for
> different purposes.  The ecosystem also requires systematic methods
> for relating, detecting, negotiating, and resolving any differences
> or conflicts that may arise.    (05)

yes sounds about right.    (06)

> AT
>> This is an interesting notion to use higher 'level' elements
>> to describe the similarities and differences in lower 'level' model.
>> Next is to look at, how many 'levels' do you have? Primitives and Domain and
>...?
>
> I would replace Pat's term 'foundation' with 'ecosystem', and I would
> support an open-ended (potentially infinite) number of "primitives",
> any of which might be refined or redefined in terms of any others.    (07)

Not sure replace is the way to approach Foundation. But it could be a good and
reusable building block.    (08)

> AT
>> I'm interested in looking at large scale systems or large scale
>> Eco Systems of interlinked models/MOT's.
>>
>> In this case the 'levels' usually  form longer chains of
>> adaptation/derivations/transformations/interlinked MOT's.
>>
>> Most users pick up some Industry's (or CommunityOfPractice or
>> IT vendor or...) end-of-chain and then continue with bilateral
>> agreements and internal adaptations.
>
> I agree with this approach.  I would recommend an open-ended
> ecosystem in which anybody's ontology (vendor, user, or researcher)
> can find a place.  Then new ontologies could be formed from the
> existing ones by any kinds of agreements, adaptations, extensions,
> contractions, or modifications.    (09)

Yes, an ecosystem is open ended in the sense that it not under anyones sole
control.    (010)

> The basic operators in the lattice of theories can support any chain
> of revisions and combinations that relate or convert one theory to
> any other.    (011)

Yes the - theory provides a good starting point for statical relationships. I
wonder though if not procedural 'relationships' also must be supported in order
to make it practicable (not sure about this point).     (012)

> EB:
>> After the abuse of this term in OMG and elsewhere, I don't know what
>> an 'ontology eco-system' might be.  So if Anders says this is one,
>> who am I to argue?
>
> I admit that I never understood what that term meant in OMG,
> but I like it better than Pat's term 'foundation'.  Since Anders'
> view is close to my hierarchy of theories, I'm delighted to have
> a catchy new term for what I've been talking about for years.    (013)

I dont think they are in opposition but rather complementary ideas.
And yes, the ecosystem view of ontologies are very much aligned with the
L-theory.    (014)

/anders
Anders W. Tell    (015)