Re: [ontolog-forum] Quote for the day

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 11:39:37 -0700

On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:11 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> To start the new year, I'd like to quote an economist, whose observation
> is true of nearly every model or ontology on any subject whatever:
>
>    "Models generally return results close to the assumptions
>     of the economists who write them."
>
> Source:
>

>http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203423004576049913136801914.html
>
> For an ontology that is designed for a specific purpose, the goal
> of getting a result close to what one expected may be desirable.
>
> But when the goal is to support interoperability among a wide range
> of systems that were designed for different purposes, it's unlikely
> that there exists an ideal ontology that is equally good for all
> of them.  Therefore, any common ontology that can be used to share
> data must be a compromise that is less than ideal for each of them.
>
> There are many implications of this observation.  Instead of trying
> to enumerate all of them in one note, I'd like to open this subject
> for further discussion.
>
> John    (02)

Perhaps we should shift from talking about ontology as a static entity to
talking about the resultant from meshing a purpose-ful ontology with a
contextual ontology. For example, a model of an (intended) problem intervention
system describes the mesh of the problematic situation ontology, the pragmatic
technologies ontology, the sponsors preferences ontology, the expected
operators' knowledge (both sentient and encoded) ontology, and other semiotic
sets. The resulting system model is a situated ontology.    (03)