Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology - System

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:09:04 -0800

Hi Chris,

You wrote:

(Alas, too often in this list, "logician" is used pejoratively (and cluelessly) to connote inflexibility, lack of "real world" experience, obsession with minutiae, etc. (I do not mean to imply that you are so using it here.))

Personally, I don’t use the word pejoratively (or cluefully).  It is not pejorative to be a logician – an academic and singularly mathematical viewpoint brings value to our discussions.  But you must realize that the symptoms you are recognizing, specifically:

inflexibility,

lack of "real world" experience,

obsession with minutiae,

-  etc.

might be real.  We all have to recognize our limitations.  That is what fuels growth and change in our character over a lifetime.  Most of us who were professors at one time and became practitioners later have had this experience of finding out that reality is enormously more complicated and multifaceted than we thought back in an academic setting, where the focus is deep, but not wide.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper