Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology - System

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:57:08 -0700

On Jan 2, 2011, at 2:27 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> The following quotation is from the software engineering thread:
>
> JR:
>> How about considering an ontology to be semiotically equivalent to a model
>> of a system? Would the principles, rules and metrics for one inform the
>> other? This is not to say that we already know the principles, rules and
>> metrics for discovering systems but it does suggest that those focused
>> on ontologies might gain from knowledge exchange with those focused on
>systems.
>
> The word 'model' has several different meanings.  I consider the
> word 'model' as used by economists and software engineers to be very
> similar to what people in this forum call an ontology.
>
> But in logic, a *model* of a set of axioms is some structure or
> system that makes those axioms true.  Since there are many logicians
> who subscribe to this list, I usually avoid the word 'model' except
> when I am talking about the logic.    (02)

That is why I said "model of a system" in hopes of avoiding the ambiguities of
the usage of the term in software, logic, fashion, etc.
A model of a system includes all three aspects; what a system IS (properties),
DOES (characteristics) and KNOWS (both sentient and encoded knowledge) that
make it fit for purpose, the latter being the effect the system (as modeled) is
intended to have on its context. Accordingly, a model of a system must include
a model of system context(s).    (03)

My hope is that an engagement of ontologists with systemists can and will
reduce the cognitive dissonance currently suffered by both tribes.    (04)