Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology - System

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:00:43 -0500
"FORM AND FUNCTION"    (01)

"Form and Function" are the top level elements (Universals) for fashion
and industrial designers. They spend endless hours in discourse on this
topic. Yet it is solely the first level of their ontology. Thet have not
progressed much beyond that point since the Bauhaus movement in 1919 and
the indications are that this will continue.    (02)

I had thought that the way to start with ontology design would be to fix
the universals, but even that is not possible as Lakoff ("Fire and
Dangerous...") points out. If we must allow for alternate universals
then it appears that we are resigned to use one of the proposed
incomplete lattices, or to a set of universals that allow exceptions. An
alternate approach would be to provide associative links from a set of
references for universals that could be selected based on a context.    (03)

Exceptions (or other predicates) in universals may not be such a bad
thing. Intelligence has always used exceptions to provide coverage for
widely varying, real world situations, and exceptions are an under
represented area of study and representation. I know the logicians
wouldn't like that approach, but I believe it is possible using FOL.    (04)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems
  Concord, MA USA    (05)