Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:51:55 -0500
Happy New Year to all!    (01)

A belated contribution.    (02)

Todd J Schneider wrote:
> Leo,
>
> I tried on several occasions both during telecons and with written
> comments to no avail. Though perhaps I wasn't the ideal candidate
> to provide guidance, I tried to provide examples and justifications
> for my comments. Beating ones head against a wall wears thin
> after a while.    (03)

This is an experience that many of us have had, in trying to follow
Leo's advice.
Chris (and John) are quite correct in saying that knowledge engineering
is a specialized engineering skill that is, for example, different from
software engineering.  And Chris is also correct that many software
engineers and business modelers don't seem to be aware of that.     (04)

This brings up two of my commonly repeated diatribes.  I will only state
them here.    (05)

(1) The hubris of engineers.  Many engineers think they can master any
other engineering discipline or science to a degree sufficient for their
work in a matter of days.  Further, after becoming mildly conversant
with the field, they assume that they are sufficiently educated to
practice it.  (This has in the past led to dangerous electrical systems
and bad software.)    (06)

(2) Entrenched ignorance in standards committees.  Once led by a
sufficiently persuasive pseudo-expert, a standards committee cannot be
redirected in any significant technical change by participants who are
true experts, unless they come with vast corporate power in the domain.
(This was Todd's experience.  I was happy to hear Peter say that he is
trying very hard to avoid that.)    (07)

It is my experience that (1) gives rise to (2), with the consequence
that one frequently finds committees dominated by would-be "technical
experts" working in areas and technologies in which they have no
identifiable technical expertise.  It is a pleasure to find a committee
led by persons with real expertise in the domain and the technology, and
the resulting standards are inevitably much more valuable.    (08)

So, my general advice is:  By their fruits shall ye know them.    (09)

Best regards,
-Ed    (010)

    "You divide up the relevant standards activities into a
matrix with two axes.  One axis is labelled "idle-busy", to
distinguish the relative activity of the committee toward getting a
standard, and the other axis is labelled "misguided-right-thinking",
to distinguish the appropriateness of the thinking that is going into
the standards effort.
    "Now, the busy/right-thinking quadrant contains efforts that
will produce useful standards without our assistance.  The
idle/right-thinking quadrant contains efforts that may need some
participation from us to get them moving.  The idle/misguided
quadrant contains efforts that can be ignored.  But the
busy/misguided quadrant contains those efforts that absolutely
require our participation, either to redirect them or to stop them!"
    -- Neal Laurance (former chief information standards officer at Ford)    (011)

> Cheers.
>
> Todd

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (013)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (014)