Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:41:37 +0200
John,    (01)

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply (below).  I enjoyed and
appreciated your sceptical remarks on common sense.    (02)

I could especially relate to your footnote excerpt from your
rolelog.pdf, which had earlier struck me because Wittgenstein's
Satzsystem/Beweissystem notion is a close cousin of what has long
been an absolutely key notion in the architecture which I have
from time to time incompletely tried to set out here on ontolog.
(Those two cousins have mathematics and its interpretations as
common grandparents.)    (03)

But I shalln't respond at this stage to your CL-related
explanations.  On the one hand I fear it would get us bogged down
in unhelpful analyses of words.  More positively, on the other
hand, it would be more productive for both of us (and, I hope,
ontologgers in general) for me to return to CL in the context of
the fuller writeup of the above-mentioned architecture ("The
Mainstream Architecture for Common Knowledge") that I am currently
working on, as preparation for the further programming of an
infrastructure for it.  I think I might be beginning to glimpse a
most useful role there too for CL, much as there are important
similarities I have long seen between my work and your more
pluralistic approach to ontology.    (04)

Sorry about the punt but it will be worth it!    (05)

Christopher    (06)