Re: [ontolog-forum] Quality

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:35:16 -0500
David -

On 2010-12-16, at 12:49 PM, David Price wrote:

Zero defects is about producing *the same thing* repeatedly and getting the same result ... i.e. Manufacturing. In software system development, almost nothing is ever produced more than once so let's not compare producing bolts with producing ERP systems.

To inject a bit of historical perspective...

It is my understanding that in the early days of the Industrial Revolution in England, it took 75 years to agree on screw thread standards... and there are—to my late 1970s knowledge when I was into nuts & bolts—still 5 standard screw threads in the UK today.