Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: [ontology-summit] Simula

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:51:34 -0800

One man’s data is another man’s procedure; Simula can model or automate an interpretation.  That makes it a programming language as well as a modeling language.

Project Logos, (“logical operating system”) was a demonstration of the < control graph / data graph > approach to proof of correctness for an operating system.  It was also a modeling language with two aspects.  In this case, those aspects were control and data because that is consistent with how the principal investigator and staff interpreted the world around them – control v data.  At the time (1970’s), the computing view of the world was divided by the control versus data viewpoint.

Simula was designed around the same time.

Later, the object oriented, event based programming style was advanced and accepted, and the whole control/data divide went away as such a dominant approach to large system software development.

Again, there is a subjective matter of interpretation, based on past individual successes and failures of similar actions in the same class, how to classify and organize actions and their detritus into coherent and mostly consistent world views.  Mostly just the starting point mythology is different from one person to the next.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com